Saturday, November 11, 2017

The Remains of Days


An expedition, I should say, which I will undertake alone, in the comfort of MR Farraday’s Ford; an expedition which, as I foresee it, will take me through much of the finest countryside of England to the West Country, and keep me away from Darlington Hall for as much as five or six days.

On seeing my person, he took the opportunity to inform me that he had just that moment finalized plans to return to the United States for a period of five weeks between August and September. Having made this announcement, my employer put his volumes down on a table, seated himself on the chaise-longue, and stretched out his legs.

"how do you ever get to see around this beautiful country of yours?"

Of course, I could not have expressed this view to Mr Farraday without embarking upon what might have seemed a presumptuous speech. I thus contended my self by saying simply:
“It has been my privilege to see the best of England over the years, sir, within these very walls.”

Mr Farraday did not seem to understand this statement, for he merely went on: “I mean it, Steven”

The fact that my attitude to this same suggestion underwent a change over the following days - indeed, that the notion of a trip to the West Country took an ever-increasing hold on my thoughts - is no doubt substantially attributable to - and why should I hide it? - the arrival of Miss Kenton’s letter, her first in almost seven years if one discounts the Christmas cards. But let me make it immediately clear what I mean by this; what I mean to say is that Miss Kenton’s letter set off a certain chain of ideas to do with professional matters here at Darlington Hall, and I would underline that it was a preoccupation with these very same professional matters that led me to consider anew my employer’s kindly meant suggestion.

I calculated finally that my savings would be able to meet all the cost I might incur, and in addition, might stretch to the purchase of a new costume.
it is important that one be attired at such times in a manner worthy of one’s position.

During this time, I also spent many minutes examining the road atlas, and perusing also the relevant volumes of Mrs Jane Symons’s The Wonder of England.

I considered most carefully what carefully what might be the most opportune occasion to bring the matter up with him

he is rarely engrossed in his reading or writing as he tends to be in the evenings.

I brought in the tea yesterday afternoon, and being aware of his general propensity to talk with me in a bantering tone at such moments, it would certainly have been wiser not to have mentioned Miss Kenton at all.

159/3397


No comments:

Post a Comment